Business Licenses in La Mesa - Applications
Doing business in the city is defined as being located in or entering into the city to conduct business with the intent of being paid. This includes businesses based in other cities that enter La Mesa as part of their work such as contractors and delivery companies. It also includes businesses that are located here but may not have customers in La Mesa. Having a presence, even temporarily, in La Mesa requires a business license. P.O. boxes or mail box numbers are not allowed as use of a business location.
Change of address requires a new application.
See below for applications. You can apply online.
Per La Mesa Municipal Code Section 6.04, anyone doing business in the City of La Mesa must have a Business License issued by the City of La Mesa. This includes:
- All in city businesses (commercial or industrial zoned businesses) with a La Mesa address 91942 and most of 91941 zip code locations. Business professionals please review 06.08.040 for fees. Fees are required when mailing in application. Business licenses are not transferable.
- Home Occupation application is for businesses working out of their home, this includes independent transportation drivers. All home occupation businesses need to come into city hall for planning review and approval. (91942 and most of 91941 zip code locations). Our interacting zoning map can help with checking the location of the residence. Appointment is not required. If you have questions regarding your home occupation application, please contact Planning at 619-667-1177.
- Out-of-City business license is for most businesses based outside of the City of La Mesa. This includes contractors, delivery and service-based businesses outside La Mesa that come into the city to do business. Fees are required when mailing in application.
- Independent contractor (someone paid on a 1099 basis, not as a W-2 employee) are required to have a business license. Please make sure to add what type of work you are doing in the description section of the application. Fees are required when mailing in application. For in city use only; not for home occupation businesses.
- Salon booth rentals Please add all services being done in the description area. If left blank (no write-in) application will be returned. Please select this application if you are renting a booth from the owner of the salon. If you are a salon owner, please fill out the in city business application. Fees are required when mailing in application.
- Massage Technicians (CAMTC certification required). If not certified, additional fees apply. $320.00 investigation fee plus business license fees. Fees are required when mailing in application.
- Holistic Health Practitioner Applicant must have 1000+ hours of education. Fees are required when mailing in application. (Transcripts are required with application).
- Farmer’s Market (La Mesa Blvd location). Contact the La Mesa Village Farmer's Market manager for vendor information and pre-approval to sell. Email email@example.com. Click here for the website.
Business License Renewals
Businesses who already have an existing license with the City of La Mesa can now renew online. Please click on the following button. Processing fees apply.