CDBG Program

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)

Each year the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides funds to entitlement cities (over 50,000 population) through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program for housing and community development activities. The City of La Mesa receives approximately $450,000 annually.

CDBG funded neighborhood improvement projects include park and recreation improvements, sidewalks and storm drains. The City typically completes one major capital improvement project each year using CDBG funds.

The City of La Mesa no longer allocates CDBG funds for public services for elderly, disabled and other special needs populations. Approximately 20% is used for program administration and fair housing services. The other 80%  is used for public improvements in neighborhoods which have been identified by HUD as “eligible areas” and for Fair Housing activities.

Consolidated Annual Performance Evaluation Report (CAPER)
The CAPER is a summary of the City’s program year accomplishments, including how resources were expended and the progress made toward addressing priorities, goals, and objectives outlined in the Consolidated Plan.

Community Development Block Grant Planning Documents

Fair Housing
San Diego Regional Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing identifies barriers that prevent Fair Housing choice and develops solutions to mitigate or remove these barriers.

Citizen Participation
The City of La Mesa encourages community involvement in determining how CDBG program priorities are established and funding is programmed. The Citizen Participation Plan for HUD Funding Programs contains additional information about the Consolidated Plan process, public Allison  notices and hearings, and public comment periods.

Community Development Block Grant Program & Relocation
Federal requirements stipulate that the City must pay relocation benefits to eligible households and businesses which are involuntarily relocated as a result of the City expenditure of CDBG funds. The City’s Acquisition, Anti-Displacement, and Relocation Assistance Plan summarizes the procedures the City will follow to ensure that displaced households and businesses are relocated in accordance with Federal requirements. The City has also prepared an Acquisition and Relocation Procedures Manual to guide future decisions and procedures related to relocation.

HOME Investment Partnership Funds (HOME)
HOME is a Federal housing program administered by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The program provides federal funds to local jurisdictions to develop and rehabilitate rental and ownership housing affordable to low-income households. The program defines low income as households below 80% of the area median income.

HOME gives local governments flexibility to fund a wide range of affordable housing activities through housing partnerships with private industry and non-project organizations. The City of La Mesa participates in the San Diego County HOME Consortium. The Consortium’s HOME Program supports the Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance (DCCA) program for first time home buyers.